Sunday, August 06, 2006

 

mobile phones, insurance, finance

Tell me how this makes sense.

I had a fairly up-scale Nokia 6680 phone. I lost it. All my fault.

I have phone insurance. £4.99 a month.

Doesn't cover loss.

I have household contents insurance at £28 a month.

It does cover loss (and everything else I might need covered on the phone).

Lesson 1 : If you have decent household insurance, you don't need the extra/seperate mobile phone insurance.

So I cancel the largely pointless mobile phone insurance from Citymain. For the record, I found their service to be exceedingly sucky. Sure, technically I should have read the (how many pages of) small print. In reality, I was paying a lot of money to cover my phone (compare the monthly premium to the amount of cover provided for the home contents insurance). They didn't cover it when I needed it, and more to the point, made the entire experience of finding that out a royal pain in the ass.

But get this. The household insurance has a £50 excess. For that, they will give me a new phone. Great. They will even sort out the SIM card (Three like to charge for the pleasure of replacing it), and cover the extra memory card I had.

But I can get the same phone, on a 12 month contract. Free phone, and the 12 months line rental is fully refunded at the end of the 12 months. Free. It won't cost me a penny. Ever.

Making a claim for a legitimate loss (and the first time I've ever done so) will cost me more than just taking out another contract

What is with the mobile phone market?

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?